Saturday, February 20, 2010

Deep-fried Breaded Beef

While making this dish, my wife did a taste test and she noticed that it tasted like KFC. I was surprised to realize after tasting it myself that it had a striking similarity to KFC indeed!

The spices that I used was put in haste so I did not really intend to copy the taste of KFC. Luckily, I remembered what I put and come to think of it, I may have accidentally discovered the 11 herbs and spices of KFC.

If you can see from the ingredients, there are 9 herbs and spices that I used, but it was not really 9 but 13 since the five spice powder contained, well, 5 spices namely, szechuan peppercorns, ground cloves, star anise, cinnamon, and fennel seeds.  Now, since KFC only has 11 herbs and spices, I may need to experiment more and try to remove 2 herbs/spices that I used and try to find out also the correct proportions of the herbs/spices.

Once I got the correct herbs/spices, I will update this blog and share to everyone the recipe.

So keep in touch.

Ingredients:
1/2 kl sirloin beef, sliced thinly
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups ice-cold water
bread crumbs
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of ground white pepper
Pinch of ground black pepper
Pinch of five spice powder
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of ground oregano
1 tbsp salt

 
a cup of flour

 

Breadcrumbs



Instructions:
  • To make the batter, combine flour, water, salt, and all the spices.
 
Make a thick batter

  • Dip the beef into the batter and then dip into the bread crumbs.
  • Then deep fry 2 minutes on each side in a medium high heat.
 
Sumptuous!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment